NEW! - "Although having 501(c) (4) Tax Exempt Status. “Donations to the Department of Michigan - Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, its Camps, or Sons of Veterans Reserve Units operating within the Department of Michigan, Are Not Tax Deductible.”
About Henry E. Plant
Henry Ebenezer Plant was born October 11, 1841 in Oswego County, New York. In 1854 he migrated with his parents and siblings to a uncleared farm at 120th Avenue and Leonard Street (soon to be the north end of the new M 231 highway) near Nunica and Spoonville in Ottawa County. Henry enlisted on December 5, 1861 in Company F, 14th Michigan Infantry. In May 1862 during the Siege of Corinth, Mississippi Henry was wounded for the only time during the war. On March 19, 1865 during the Battle of Bentonville, in North Carolina, the color Sergeant was mortally wounded in the final charge of the day and a yawing gap was left on either side of the colors. Corporal Plant took in the situation at a glance. He ran toward the colors, seized the flag from the hand of the mortally wounded standard-bearer and waved it, cheering on his comrades to a more determined resistance. The flag itself had been riddled by bullets. Plant was later promoted to Color-bearer of the regiment and to the typical rank of color bearers that of Sergeant. Plant received his Medal of Honor on April 27, 1896 being the first in the United States to receive his medal for rescuing his own Regiment's colors. He also was the first Medal of Honor recipient from Ottawa County, Michigan and the 14th Michigan Infantry.
Henry was a member of the Bartholomew GAR Post #136 of Nunica (serving in many offices including Commander) until it disbanded in 1918 when he transferred his membership to the Benjamin K. Weatherwax GAR Post #75 of Grand Haven in 1919, serving as Officer of the Day and Officer of the Guard. Henry also was a member of the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows, obtaining the rank of Noble Grand.
Politically Henry served in many Crockery Township positions including Highway Commissioner and musically Henry participated in local Nunica/Crockery Township bands and orchestras.
Henry was a farmer on the family farm
Henry's married Jeannie Sarah Clark who was a member of the Women's Relief Corps in Nunica and a correspondent for the Coopersville Observer, and they had seven children.
About Henry E. Plant Camp #3
The camp was chartered on May 25, 1993 with eight charter members. The Camp's original Commander was Max J. Riekse.
Their first major project was the placement and dedication on May 30, 1994 of a Military grave marker on Henry E. Plant's grave in the Nunica Cemetery.
As part of their 2009 Holiday Muster the Camp initiated their very first Junior Member, Richard E. Riekse.
The camp is highly active in the local community. They are involved annually in the Spring Lake Memorial Day Parade and Ceremonies, put on a program honoring Civil War Veterans from the Spring Lake area during the Spring Lake Heritage Festival in June, conduct a recruiting table during the Holland Civil War Re-enactment Muster put on by the Holland Historical Museum in September, conduct Civil War programs for the Tri-Cities Historical Museum and for local School districts while the students are covering the Civil War in their studies, work on the SUVCW's Grave Registration program in Ottawa, Muskegon and Oceana Counties, and attend ceremonies honoring veterans, especially Civil War Veterans.
In 2012 the camp is working on getting the State of Michigan to name M 231 after Henry Plant, due to the fact that the new highway will run over the farm land that Henry originally owned. The camp is also working on replacing the Perkins GAR Post #279 monument in the Spring Lake Cemetery.
In 2009-2011 three Brothers of the camp chaired and worked on the erection of the Fallen Heroes Monument in Grand Haven honoring the Veterans that died in battle from World War II to the present day from the northern portion of Ottawa County.
The Camp meets on the 2nd Sunday of the months of March, April, July, August, October, November at 2:00 P. M. alternately at locations in Holland (Freedom Village activity room) and Grand Haven (Tri-Cities Historical Museum (Akeley Building)). On the 2nd Sunday of January the camp holds their annual Holiday Muster with their Brothers, family members and friends at a local restaurant.
For further information about regular meetings, outside events and memberships, contact us through one of the above camp contacts.
|©Copyright 1995-2006, Department
of Michigan, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, a Congressionally
Chartered Corporation. All rights reserved.
|Last updated on March 27, 2012 12:14 PM - webmaster|