Pap Williams Post #15
Ludington, Mason County, Michigan
Organized May 26, 1880
This Post was named to honor General Alpheus Starkey Williams. A graduate of Yale, he traveled widely in the US and Europe and was then a lawyer, judge and newspaper publisher. He served during the Mexican War as a Michigan Brigadier General. At the start of the Civil War he was a Brigadier General and Division Commander. He served at various times in the II Corps, XII Corps, commanding at times both the XII and XX Corps. He was Brevet Major General USV 12 June 1865 for war service and was mustered out in 1866. Called “Old Pap” he wore “a beard even more luxuriant than was customary in those days.” He was minister to Salvadore 1866-1869 and a Democratic Congressman. He died in office in 1878.
In its Charter application the men of this Post had requested the name of Phil Kearney. This request was denied because that name was already used by another Post.
The Post was mustered with 23 Charter Members.
The first Post Commander was Chauncy Gibbs who served as Captain of Company C, 26th Michigan Infantry.
The Post first met at Fireman’s Hall on Charles Street. A note on the September 30 1881 Report indicates that the “Hall burned down”. They met in the Council Chambers on Charles Street, in halls by several manes on Ludington Avenue, the K of P Hall on James Street and after 1905 in the Court House on Ludington Avenue.
The last Post Commander was Henry W. Quigley who served as a Private in Company E, 147th Pennsylvania Infantry.
The Post was disbanded on December 31, 1927.