Sedgwick Post #16
Evart, Osceola County, Michigan
Organized August 24, 1880
It is possible (although there is no definitive proof) that this Post may have been named to honor William Dwight Sedgwick, a lawyer from Lenox Massachusetts. He enlisted as 1st Lieutenant, at age 29, in Company D, 2nd Massachusetts Infantry on May 25 1861. H e was commissioned Captain of Company D on September 16, 1861. He was promoted to Major and Assistant Adjutant General on August 7, 1862. He was wounded at Antietam, Maryland on September 17, 1862 and died of those wounds on September 27, 1862.
The Post was mustered with 14 Charter Members.
The first Post Commander was William A. Lewis. He enlisted as 2nd Lieutenant in Company B, 23 Michigan Infantry on August 1, 1862. He was discharged as Captain of Company B on June 29, 1865.
The Post started meeting at the Main Street office of Commander Lewis, a lawyer. In 1885 they were meeting at Beemanís Hall on Main Street. In September of 1885 they started meeting in the Opera House on Main Street, noted variously as the G.A.R. Hall, Post Hall or the Opera House Block.
The last Post Commander was Daniel France who served as a Private in Company L, 6th Ohio Cavalry from February 17, 1864 to March 1, 1865.
The Post was disbanded July 15, 1925.