R. P. Carpenter Post #41
Chelsea, Washtenaw County, Michigan
Organized February 7, 1882
The Post was probably named to honor Roswell P. Carpenter of Ann Arbor. He enlisted as a Lieutenant in Company D, 20th Michigan Infantry on July 29, 1862. He was promoted to Full Lieutenant on October 15, 1862 and served as Division Ordinance Officer, 9th Artillery Army Corps until January 1, 1863. He was promoted to Captain of Company K on January 26, 1864. He was killed in action in Spotsylvania Court House, VA on May 12, 1864.
The Post was Mustered with 17 Charter Members.
The first Post Commander was John A. Palmer a Lieutenant in Company B, 4th Michigan Cavalry. He enlisted as Sergeant First Class in Company B on July 19, 1862 at age 23.He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in Company L on June 27, 1863. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant on June 12, 1864 he was commanding Company E. He was discharged on July 1, 1865 in Nashville, Tenn.
The Post met initially at the Odd Fellows Hall on East Middle Street. All other meeting places were on Main Street and noted variously as G. A. R. Hall, Woods Hall and Winans Hotel.
The last Post Commander was John F. Waltrous who enlisted in Company H, 10th Michigan Cavalry on February 27, 1865 and was mustered out on November 11, 1865 in Memphis, Tenn.
The final Report was filed December 31, 1919 with eleven Members.
The Post was disbanded on January 15, 1920.