Fairbanks Post #17
Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan
Organized May 9, 1881
This Post was probably named to honor John D. Fairbanks of Detroit who served, initially, as 1st Lieutenant and Adjutant of the 1st Michigan Infantry (three months) on May 1, 1861. He served as Major of the 5th Michigan Infantry, August 21, 1861.Wounded in action at Charles City Crossroads, Va. on June 20, 1862, he died of his wounds July 25, 1862, at Washington, D.C.
The Post was mustered with 25 Charter Members. During the life of the Post they reported a total of 1556 members on their Muster Reports.
The first Post Commander was E. O. Durfee who enlisted as a Private in Company C, 24th Michigan Infantry. He was 1st Sgt. of Company C when he was discharged December 28, 1863 after the loss of his right arm.
In 1881 the Post met at the O. F. Hall, 200 Randolph, in 1882 at Barnes Hall on Woodward Avenue, in 1883 to 1887 at the Odd Fellows on Randolph. They shifted to Clawson's Hall at 96 Miami in September 1889. By 1900 they were meeting in the new Memorial Hall and except for the 1935 Report they stayed there. In 1935 they indicate meeting at Sons of Veterans Hall, 266 Randolph. In 1936 they were back at Memorial Hall.
The Last Post Commander was William H. Jackson who served one year as a Private in Company K, 12 Vermont Infantry. He died in July of 1943.
The Post was disbanded June 30, 1942. A note at the bottom of the last Report filed in 1942 indicates; "Charter in G. A. R. Building, Detroit."
Fairbanks Post #17GAR Hall
Grand River and Cass, Detroit, MI
| || |
|(Click thumbnail for larger view.)|