Charles T. Foster Post #42
Lansing, Ingham County, Michigan
Organized February 2, 1882
This Post was named to honor Charles T. Foster, the first Lansing man to volunteer at the beginning of the Civil War. He enlisted in Company B, 3rd Michigan Infantry as a Corporal on May 10, 1861, age 23. He was promoted to Sergeant and was killed in action at Seven Pines, Virginia, the first Lansing man to die in the war.
The Post was Mustered with 46 Charter Members.
The first Post Commander was Rush J. Shank who enlisted in Company C, 148th New York Volunteers on August 1, 1864 and was discharged on June 1, 1865.
The Post met, mostly on Washington Avenue from 1882 until 1910 at buildings identified as G.A.R. Hall, Old Senate, Moody Hall, Barker's Hall. The address is noted from time to time as 129, 331, 213 and 219 Washington Avenue. In 1912 the location is noted as 110 ½ S. Grand Avenue, in 1922 it is 117 ½ S. Washington Avenue. In 1921 they meet at Veterans Hall on east Michigan Avenue. In 1930 they meet at War Veterans Hall on South Capitol Avenue. In 1932 the Veterans Memorial Hall in located at 213 South Capitol Avenue.
James A. Hamilton is the last Post Commander and also the last Member living. He served in Company G, 12 Michigan Infantry from July 18, 1864 to June 1, 1865. He died December 23, 1941.
Edna Havens signed the last few years as Deputy Adjutant and Quartermaster for the Post The Post was disbanded December 23, 1941.