O. P. Morton Post #54
Manton, Wexford County, Michigan
Organized April 15, 1882
Although the initial "O" is used in the name of this Post, it is more likely that it was named to honor Quincy P. Morton of Schoolcraft. He enlisted as a Private in Company F, 8th Michigan Cavalry on December 27, 1862 at age 32. He was POW on January 20, 1863 at Dandridge, Tenn. He died as a prisoner on February 23, 1864 in Richmond Virginia.
The Post was Mustered with 19 Charter Members.
The first Post Commander was Frank Weaver who enlisted in Company L, 24th New York Cavalry on January 2, 1864. He was discharged as Sergeant.
The Post met at the Odd Fellows Hall on Main Street. BY December 1882 they were meeting at Woodmans Hall on East Depot Street. In 1883 their meeting place was designated Post Hall on East Depot Street. In 1884 Post Hall was on Mains Street followed by Temperance Hall and McFarlan's Hall. In 1896 they met at G.A. R. Hall on West R. R. Street. The "Post Hall" was located on Depot Street in 1896, Wall Street in 1897, Morgan's Hall on Main Street in 1901 and State Street in 1906. They met at the Oprey on Main Street in 1909 and at Hill's Hall on Main Street in 1918.
A note is found on the Report of September 30, 1884 - "A. J. Bondel - lDrop - Non-payment of dues - is a Deadbeat and fraud."
The last Post Commander was William Mears who served in Company D, 25th Michigan Infantry.
The last Report was filed December 31, 1919.
The Post was disbanded in 1924.