Jewell Post #62
Cedar Springs, Kent County, Michigan
Organized June 3, 1882
The name requested on the Application for Post Charter was McReynolds.
There is no clear indication which Jewell this Post was named to honor.
The first Post Commander was Curtis Buck who served as a Private in Company B, 1st Michigan Light Artillery and was discharged as Sergeant on June 12, 1865.
The Post met at the Armory on Main Street in 1882-83. In 1884 they met at Buck's Office. IN 1888 they were meeting in the G.A.R. Hall (Armory) on Main Street. In 1891 they met in Ford's Hall, also on Main Street. In 1893 they met at the Post Hall on the corner of Elm and Second Street. They met in a New Post Hall on Elm Street in 1901. In 1916 they report meeting in "Their Hall" on Main Street.
The last Post Commander was Silas T. Church. He enlisted as an Able Seaman on September 1, 1864 and was discharged as an Ordinary Seaman on June 23, 1865. The Post was disbanded December 3, 1919.