Sterling Post #74
Wayland, Allegan County, Michigan
Organized August 31, 1882
There is no indication which Sterling this Post was named to honor.
The first Post Commander was George W. Pease who enlisted in Company D, 87th Ohio Infantry on April 25, 1862 , age 20. He was mustered out August 18, 1861 and re-entered service as 1st Lieutenant on June 3, 1862 and was Mustered out On October 1, 1862 in Camp Delaware, Ohio. He enlisted as Assistant Surgeon on March 31, 1865 in the 197th Ohio Infantry and was mustered out on July31, 1865 at Camp Bradford, Baltimore Maryland.
The Post met at Odd Fellows Hall on Superior Street and in 1886 at Chapples Hall, also on Superior Street. Later in 1886 they met at the Grange Hall on South Main..
The Last Post Commander was Charles B. Brown who enlisted in Company G, 46 Massachusetts Infantry on August 20, 1862 and was mustered out July 1, 1863.
The final Report was filed on December 31 !915 with 9 Members. A note indicate - "Peter Ross returns form with no report - Have disbanded & Charter will be sent soon as secure it from Grange Hall.
The Post was disbanded February 6, 1915 and dropped from the Journal in 1916.