Monument, consisting of a bronze bust of Russell A. Alger mounted on a stone pedestal, on the grounds of the William G. Mather High School, Elm Avenue and Chocolay Street, Munising. It was erected in June, 1909, with funds provided by the heirs of Alger and by the Board of Education of the Munising Township Schools. The inscription reads:
Feb. 27, 1836 - Jan. 24, 1907. Brevet Major General, U. S. V., Governor of Michigan, Secretary of War, U. S. Senator, for whom this county was named.[Russell Alexander Alger was born in Ohio in 1836. He settled in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1859, and upon the outbreak of the Civil War became captain of Company C of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry when it was organized in the summer of 1861. He subsequently became major of this regiment, lieutenant colonel of the 6th Michigan Cavalry, and colonel of the 5th Michigan Cavalry. He resigned from the service on September 20, 1864. He was brevetted brigadier general and major general of United States Volunteers for gallant and meritorious services during the war. In 1866, Alger established a residence in Detroit where he resided the rest of his life. He became a leading lumberman and also one of the most prominent Republican politicians of his day. He served as governor of Michigan 1885-86, secretary of war, 1897-99, and United States senator from Michigan from 1902 to his death in 1907. Messages of the Governors of Michigan, edited by George N. Fuller, 3:517-20 (Lansing, 1927).
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier on top of a large granite pedestal, on the Courthouse lawn, Hubbard and Trowbridge streets, Allegan. The inscription reads:
Defenders of our Nation, 1861-1865
Monument in the center of the Taylor Cemetery, Ganges Township. The inscription reads:
Defenders of our Union, 1861-186S. Erected by the Woman's Soldiers Monument Society of Ganges, 1898. Ganges Volunteers. Also Jacob G. Fry Post 46, Michigan. [The names of veterans are also inscribed on the monument.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier on top a high pillar, with a granite base, in the Mountain Home Cemetery, a half mile north of Otsego. The inscription reads:
In memoriam, given in F. C. and L. The soldiers and sailors who died that the Union might live. 1861-1865.Beside the above monument is a cannon mounted on a flat cement base with the simple inscription "G. A. R."
Small bronze plaque on a flagpole in front of Bruner-Frehse Post No. 137, American Legion, Mason Street, Saugatuck. The inscription reads:
Presented by Marie A. Newnham in memory of her father, Richard B. Newnham, U.S.N., a Civil War veteran.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier at parade rest, on top of a tall granite pedestal, in Tyden Park, Hastings. The monument was erected in 1889 by the Barry County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Association and was originally located in a circle at the intersection of State and Broadway streets, Hastings. Highway improvements made its removal to Tyden Park necessary in 1963. The inscriptions read:
Dedicated to those who offered up their lives that the government of the people, by the people, and for the people, should not perish from the earth. To our nation's defenders, 1861-1865. The Union one and inseparable. Gettysburg. Vicksburg. Mission Ridge. Wilderness.
Monument with two bronze tablets, on State Road, one mile northwest of Hastings in Riverside Cemetery. The inscriptions read:
In memory of Fitzgerald Post 125, Grand Army of the Republic. Organized 1883, an association of Civil War Veterans. Their names may be forgotten, but their deeds on land and sea are recorded in the annals of the grateful country. 1861-1865.Fitzgerald Post was named after Captain Leonard Fitzgerald of Hastings. Killed in Battle. Its members were identified with the growth of Hastings, from the pioneer days until all of them had responded to the last great roll call. On this spot they assemble annually on Memorial Day to honor with services the memory of their comrades, known and unknown, who had served their country, believing that their revered memory will encourage patriotism in the hearts of future generations, the members of this Grand Army Post and Womens Relief Corps, their faithful Auxiliary and the citizens of Hastings and vicinity and their children erected this monument and dedicated it May 30 A. D. 1912.
[Leonard 0. Fitzgerald of Hastings entered service on July 1S, 1862, as captain of Company C, 2lst Michigan Infantry. He died January 8, 1863, at Nashville, Tennessee, of wounds received at Stone's River, December 31, 1862. He was originally buried in Nashville, but his body was subsequently removed to Hastings. Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865, 21:41 ([Kalamazoo, 1905]).]
Memorial, consisting of a fifty-foot bronze flag staff mounted on a gray granite base bearing a bronze tablet, in Wenonah Park, at Water Street and Center Avenue, Bay City. The inscription reads:
In memory of the Bay County heroes of all the wars, and in honor of those who have given their services to the cause of humanity. This memorial is dedicated in gratitude and affection by Anne Frisby Fitzhugh Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, May 30, 1922.
Boulder with a bronze tablet in Roosevelt Park, at Pipestone and Broadway streets, Benton Harbor. The inscription reads:
Dedicated in memory of our fathers who fought for the Union in the Civil War, 1861-1865. By the Michigan Department Daughters of Veterans, June 9, 1927.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, in city park at the junction of US-27 and US-12, Coldwater. The inscription reads:
Frank D. Newberry, Volunteer soldier. Born at Rochester, Michigan, June 23, 1840. Died at San Jose, California, December 28, 1912. Civil War 1861-1863, Private Duryees Zouaves, 5th N. Y. Inf. Michigan National Guard enlisted 1876. Commissioned Capt. Co. A, 2nd Regt. 1878, Lieut. Col. 2nd Regt. 1886 Inspector Gen. 1887-1891. Spanish-American War 1898, Capt. Co. A, 32nd Mich. Vol. Inf. Philippine Insurrection 1899-1901 Capt. Co. A, 30th U. S. Vol. Inf. Erected 1925 A. D. By his Comrades of Co. A, 32nd Mich. Vol. Inf.
Monument in city park at the junction of US-27 and US-12, Coldwater. The inscription reads:
To the memory of the soldier dead. Erected by Butterworth Womans Relief Corps, No. 31 and citizens of Coldwater, 1906. To the memory of the boys whose lives went out, when alone on picket m southern battlefields, in prison pen, on ocean-wave, 1861-1865. To the memory of the soldiers of the Spanish- American and Philippine Wars, who gave their lives in defense of the flag in foreign lands. Butterworth Post No. 109, Grand Army of the Republic. Organized in the city of Coldwater, May % 1883. Butterworth Womans Relief Corps No. 31. Organized in the city of Coldwater, Jan. 30, 1885.
Cannon, with bronze tablets, in city park at the junction of US-27 and US-12, Coldwater. The memorial was presented to the city by Andrew Hanna, a member of Loomis' Battery, and through public subscriptions promoted by Hanna. The inscriptions read:
Battery A, First Michigan Light Artillery, organized in Coldwater and known as Loomis' Battery. This is one of the six ten pounder Parrott guns sent to Loomis' Battery by General McClellan at Rich Mountain, West Virginia, to replace the old six pounder brass gun originally supplied the battery, and was in service in West Virginia from July 1st until December 16th 1861 when the Battery was ordered to report to General Buell at Louisville, Ky. [There then follows a listing of twelve engagements or stations at which the Loomis Battery saw action or service.] This gun, with four others of the battery, was captured by Walthall's and Govan's Brigade of Walker's Corps of the Confederate Army, in the Battle of Chickamauga, on the 19th of September, 1863, in which battle Lieut. Van Pelt and thirteen men were killed or wounded; thirteen men missing, and forty horses killed. The guns were recaptured by Willich's Brigade, of the Union Army, before the day's fighting ceased.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, mounted on a granite base, in the cemetery, one block south of US-12, Quincy. It was erected in 1884 by the G. O. Loomis Post No. 2, G. A. R., and the citizens of Quincy. Inscribed on the monument are the names of the members of the Loomis Post and of the soldiers buried in the cemetery and the battles in which they fought.
Monument on grounds of Congregational Church, on M-60 and North Broadway, Union City. It was erected May 30, 1884 by the G. A. R. and the citizens of Union City. The inscription reads:
To the memory of our fallen heroes, 1861-1865. Franklin, Pittsburg Landing, Nashville, Gettysburg, Malvern Hill, Appomattox, Atlanta, Mission Ridge, Vicksburg.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, in city park on M-60, Union City. The inscription reads:
In memory of Corbin Post 88 and Corps 25 Grand Army of the Republic. Erected 1925 by Clark M. Hall, 3d Vt. Lt. Art.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, in Victory Park, on the Concord Highway between Albion and Jackson. The memorial was erected by the E. W. Hollingsworth Post 210, G. A. R., in 1925, in memory of the men who fought in the Civil War. The tablet bears the names of Civil War officers from the area.
Monument with a bronze tablet, in Riverside Cemetery, on M- 99, Albion. The inscription reads:
In honor of the members of E. W. Hollingsworth Post 210, Department of Michigan, G. A. R. (There follows a list of over two hundred names.)
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in the cemetery at Athens. The inscription reads:
In honor of the brave men who from Athens bore some loyal part in the great Civil War. 1861-1865.
Mounted cannon in Oak Hill Cemetery, South Avenue, Battle Creek. The inscription on the attached plaque reads:
This gun was in service on the Cumberland during the battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac. Mounted here by Farragut Post No. 32, Department of Michigan, G. A. R. in commemoration of the heroic services of Union soldiers and sailors during the Civil War.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, on Champion Street, at the rear of the G. A. R. Hall, Battle Creek. The inscription reads:
Dedicated to Farragut Post No. 32, Grand Army of the Republic, organized Nov. 5, 1881.
"Ever in the realms of glory
Shall shine your starry fame;
Angels have heard your story,
God knows you all by name."
Erected by its auxiliary, Farragut Woman's Relief Corps No. 4, assisted by Byington Camp No. 55, S. of V. and Abbie R. Flagg Tent No. 21, D. of V. May 30, 1925.
Monument in Monument Square, East Michigan, South Division, and South Avenue, Battle Creek. The monument stands thirtyfive feet high and consists o bronze figures of two Civil War soldiers with a flag, mounted on top of a granite shaft on which are placed a variety of carved figures, plaques, and inscriptions. The monument was erected in 1901 through contributions from 208 firms and private citizens. The inscriptions read:
To honor those who fought by land or sea for the American Republic. In grateful remembrance of their love of country, courage, and self-sacrifice the citizens of Battle Creek place this monument. The national progress achieved by their arms is an inspiration for those who struggle for freedom and humanity throughout the world. "We cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this monument. Brave men, living and dead, have consecrated it by their struggles far above our power to add or detract." - Abraham Lincoln. They gave to the world undying proof of their heroism, loyalty and patriotism. These men fought that the nation might live. We owe to them the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and the uplifting of our country in dignity, strength and security. Their deeds and sacrifices are the pledge of the liberty, fraternity and enlightenment of the American people. Justice. Self Government. The Union. Freedom.
Boulder with a bronze plaque, at Michigan Avenue and Exchange Street, Marshall. It was erected by the citizens of Marshall and dedicated in 1911 during the reunion of veterans of the 1st Michigan Engineers and Mechanics in Marshall. The inscription reads:
1911. Rendezvous encampment, First Regiment Michigan Engineers, September to December, 1861. Left Camp Owen Marshall, Mich. for the front Dec. 17, 1032 strong, Col. Wm. P. Innis, comd'g. Served in Ky., Tenn., Miss., Ala., and Ga. Marched with Sherman to the sea. 1861-1865. Marshall honors them.[At the time of its organization in 1861, this regiment was designated the 1st Michigan Engineers and Mechanics. It retained this name through out the war, but it was also frequently referred to simply as the 1st Michigan Engineers. See Charles R. Sligh, History of the Services of the First Regiment Michigan Engineers and Mechanics During the Civil War, 1861-1865 (Grand Rapids, 1921).]
Monument, consisting of a granite shaft supporting bronze figures of Civil War soldiers and sailors, at Main and Division streets, in a park by the New York Central depot, Dowagiac. The monument was erected in 1907 by the Gilbert Post 47, G. A. R. The inscription reads:
Cass County's tribute to the soldiers and sailors of the Civil War, 1861-65.
Monument with a bronze tablet, at the west point of Farr Park, Dowagiac. The inscription reads:
1861-1865. In memory of the 19th Mich. Inf. by the W. R. C.'s of Cass County. Erected A. D. 1922 (Auxiliary to the G. A. R.) The 19th Mich. Inf. was organized at Dowagiac in 1862 with 995 men. Mustered out of service Jan. 10th, 1865. Total enrollment 1208. Killed in action 54. Died of wounds 31. Died in Confederate prisons 7. Died of disease 138. Discharged for disability 182.[The wording of this inscription, at least as it is given in "Historical Markers and Memorials in Michigan," compiled by Percy H. Andrus, in Michigan History, 15 199 (Spring, 1931), is in error. The l9th Michigan Infantry was mustered out on June 10, not January 10, 1865. The casualty figures given in the inscription are also at variance with those given in other sources. See Robertson, Michigan in the War, 396.]
Boulder with a bronze tablet, corner of Main and Burney streets, Marcellus. The inscription reads:
Honor Roll of War Veterans of Marcellus and vicinity. [There follows a list of soldiers and sailors, listed by wars.] Erected by relatives and friends under the auspices of Thomas Manning Woman's Relief Corps No. 159.
Monument in Maple Lawn Cemetery, Boyne City. The inscription reads:
Erected in the year 1916 in honor of the defenders of the Union 1861-1865. By the patriotic citizens of Boyne City and community under the auspices of the Woman's Relief Corps No. 195 Dept. of Michigan.
Gravestone and wooden marker, marking the grave of Franklin Devereaux, on the shore of Devereaux Lake, just off M-33 about twelve miles south of Cheboygan. Devereaux served in the 25th Michigan Infantry in 1862 and 1863. After the war he was a hunter and trapper in northern Michigan. In August, 1883, he was found dead of a fractured skull at this site. Nearby was a dead bear. It was theorized that Devereaux had shot the bear but that the bear, although fatally wounded, had then killed Devereaux. One of the markers at the grave was dedicated on September 7, 1930, by the local American Legion. At the time it was believed, probably incorrectly, that Devereaux was "the only man in Michigan ever killed by a bear."
["Historical Markers and Memorials in Michigan," compiled by Andrus in Michigan History, 15:202-203; Lansing State Journal, July 12, 1965.]
Monument, consisting of a marble shaft surmounted by a gilded eagle, mounted on a sandstone and marble base, in Sowles Cemetery, near Maple Rapids. This monument was erected by the Lewis Bentley and Billy Begole Post 127, G. A. R. in 1884 in memory of the area's soldiers who lost their lives in the Civil War. The names of thirty-eight soldiers are engraved on the monument.
Monument of Nausau red granite in City Park, Escanaba. The monument was dedicated May 30, 1924, under the auspices of the Woman's Relief Corps in memory of the soldiers in the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, in Washington Park, facing Main Street, Bellevue. It was dedicated May 30, 1925, by the Jason M. Mason Woman's Relief Corps No. 30 in memory of the G. A. R.
Two large Civil War cannon, mounted on a concrete base, with attached plaque, on the Courthouse grounds, Charlotte. The inscription reads:
Presented to A. S. Williams Post No. 40 Dept. of Mich. G. A. R. by U. S. Govt. In service of Civil War from 1861 to 1865. This post dedicates them to the memory of soldiers and sailors of Eaton County. 1898.
Monument on island in the Grand River, one-half block from M99 in Eaton Rapids. The inscription reads:
Our fallen heroes, from 1861-1865. G. A. R. Park.
Boulder with a bronze plaque, on island in the Grand River, one half block from M-99 in Eaton Rapids. It was placed beside an elm tree planted in 1910 which is no longer standing. The inscription reads:
G. A. R. tree. G. A. R. Park, Oct. 25, 1910, by J. B. Brainard Post 111, Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Cannon mounted on a stone base, with granite tablet, in Oakwood Cemetery, Grand Ledge. The inscription reads:
On fame's eternal camping ground. Dedicated 1898 to the memory of our soldiers and marines. 1861-1865.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, Arlington Park, US-31 and US- 131, Petoskey. The inscription reads:
1861-1865. G.A.R. To the honor and memory of Lombard Post No. 170, by Lombard W. R. C. No. 152, June 14, 1927.
Monument in Oakwood Memorial Park, Fenton. It was erected in 1906 by the Woman's Relief Corps in memory of the unknown soldiers and sailors from that community who died in the service of their country.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, Library Park, US-23, Fenton. The memorial was erected in 1926 by the Lucy Blanchard Tent No. 25, Daughters of Veterans, in memory of Union veterans of the Civil War.
Monument and tablet on the northeast comer of the Courthouse site, between Court and Fifth streets, Flint, erected by Governor Crapo Post, G. A. R., in honor of Civil War veterans.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in Riverview Cemetery, Ironwood. The inscriptions read:
1861-1865. 1898. In memory of our fallen heroes. Loyalty.
Bronze tablet in the lobby of the Memorial Building, Ironwood. It was installed in the early 1920's along with plaques listing veterans of the Spanish-American War and World War I. The inscription reads:
This tablet is erected in honor and memory of the men from this community who served in the Civil War, 1861- 1865. [There follow the names of forty-one men.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, at the junction of US-27 and M-46 in St. Louis. The monument was erected in 1914 by the citizens of St. Louis in memory of the soldiers and sailors of all wars.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier on a marble pedestal, in Allen Township Cemetery, south of US-12 and west of M-49, Allen. The inscriptions read:
1861-186B. Loyalty, fraternity, charity. Wilderness, Petersburg, Gettysburg, Chickamauga. Forty-two years after the surrender at Appomattox, this monument is dedicated to the memory of heroic men who imperiled their lives for the preservation of the Union. Erected by a comrade who, in the fortunes of war, was permitted to return home and enjoy the blessings of peace, May 30, 1907. This tablet placed by Allen Township in memory of the donor Charles W. Lake 1832-1915.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in Oak Grove Cemetery, Mechanic Street, Hillsdale. It was erected to the memory of their comrades by G. A. R. Post No. 6 and Woman's Relief Corps No. 37.
Memorial consisting of a boulder with a bronze tablet, at the corner of Broad and Budlong streets, Hillsdale. It was erected by E. C. Shupp to help perpetuate the memory of the men from Hillsdale County who served in the Civil War.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, on the college campus of Hillsdale College, Hillsdale. It was erected in June, 1895, by the Alpha Kappa Phi Literary Society. The inscription reads:
Our Roll of Honor. Alpha Kappa Phi volunteers in the War of the Rebellion. To the memory of our heroic dead who fell in defense of the Union. [There follow the names of members of the Alpha Kappa Phi Literary Society who served in the Civil War.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in the village park at US-12, facing Chicago Street, Jonesville. It was dedicated in November, 1912, by the Woman's Relief Corps and G. A. R. of Jonesville in memory of all soldiers of wars in which the United States has fought.
Monument in Maplewood Cemetery, North Main Street, Reading. The inscription reads:
Remember the soldier dead. Erected to their memory by Lieut. Col. F. Fowler 2 Reg. Mich. Cav. [There follows a list of sixteen Civil War battles.]Frederick Fowler of Hillsdale was appointed captain in the 2nd Michigan Cavalry on September 2, 1861. He was promoted to lieutenant colonel of the regiment on July 13, 1862, and he resigned on May 2, 1863 and was honorably discharged. Robertson, Michigan in the War, 829.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in Lake View Cemetery, one mile west of Calumet on Road J. The inscription reads:
To the memory of her honored dead veterans of the Civil War and of the Spanish War, Calumet erects this monument, May, 1900. [On the reverse side of the base of the monument appear the names of veterans.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, at the foot of Emerald Street, facing College Avenue, Houghton. It was erected by Graham Pope and dedicated May 30, 1912. The inscription reads:
In memory of the Houghton Company July 1862-July 1865. The Houghton Company served 34 years as Co. I, 23rd Michigan Infantry. In memory of the 500 soldiers and sailors from Houghton Co. 1861-1865. The Houghton Company - Campbell's Station, Knoxville, Resaca, Kenesaw, Lost Mountain, Dallas, Atlanta Columbia, Franklin, Nashville, Fort Anderson.[Graham Pope of Houghton was appointed first lieutenant of Company I of the 23rd Michigan Infantry on August 1, 1862. He resigned on February 26, 1863, and was honorably discharged. Robertson, Michigan in the War, 908.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in Village Park, Caseville. The inscription reads:
1910. Dedicated to the living and dead soldiers of Huron County 1861-1865. Erected by the patriotic citizens of Huron County under auspices of Nancy Smalley Circle No. 7, L. of G. A. R.
Monument in Rock Falls Cemetery, three miles south of Harbor Beach on Lake Huron. The inscription reads:
G. A. R. - V. F. W. - Dedicated in Memory of the Men of the Grand Army of the Republic. Erected May 30, 1952, by Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U. S., Post No. 9344, Harbor Beach, Michigan.
Wooden plaque on M-53 in Port Austin. The inscription reads:
Home of Captain Eben R. Ayres, 1841-1914, Civil War Hero & Patriot, Company F, 23rd Regiment, Mich. Volunteer Infantry. He recruited one hundred men from Port Austin vicinity. Memorial plaque presented by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Michigan.