Bronze plaque at Fort Mackinac, Mackinac Island. The inscription reads:
In memory of General Thomas Williams, commandant of Fort Mackinac, 1852-1856, killed in battle, August 5, 1862.
[Thomas Williams was the son of John R. Williams, the first elected mayor of Detroit. A graduate of the United states Military Academy in 1837, Thomas Williams served in the artillery in the years before the Civil War and was commander of Fort Mackinac from 1852 to 1856 when his company was stationed at that post. He was appointed brigadier general United states Volunteers, on September 28, 1861, and was killed while leading the forces which defended Baton Rouge, Louisiana, from a Confederate attack on August 5, 1862. "Letters of General Thomas Williams, 1862," in American Historical Review, 14 304-328 (January, 1909).]
Boulder with a bronze plaque, in Lakeside Park on South East Street, Marquette. The inscription reads:
G. A. R. 1861-186S. Dedicated to the memory of Albert Jackson Post No. 300 and Albert Jackson Womens Relief Corps No. 188 Dept. of Michigan. Nov. 11, 1924.
"Ever in the realms of glory
Shall shine your starry fame,
Angels have heard your story,
God knows all your names."
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in cemetery on M-116, Ludington. The surrounding area of the cemetery is made up largely of Civil War soldiers' graves. The inscription reads:
G. A. R. Memory of our deceased comrades. 1861-186S. Erected 1907 by Pap William Post No. 1S.
Monument in cemetery at Scottville.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, on the Courthouse lawn, Elm Street, three blocks east of US-131, Big Rapids. It was erected in 1893. The inscription reads:
1861-186S m memory of the men who in the War of the Great Rebellion fought to uphold their country's flag. They died to make their country free. Erected by the women of Mecosta County.
Monument with a bronze plaque, in Memorial Park, Sheridan Road, Menominee. The inscription reads:
Dedicated by the American Legion Auxiliary Oscar Falk Post, No. 146, Menominee, Michigan, in gratitude and lasting appreciation of the service and sacrifice of those whose names appear below who volunteered or who were called into service in the Great War for Democracy, 1914- 1918. Dedicated in honor and memory of the Menominee veterans who answered our country's call to war: Civil War, Spanish War and Great War. Erected in 1924. [The plaque includes the names of veterans of the county from World War I.]
Memorial band stand in the center of the town square, Dundee, at the intersection of M-50 and Brewer Road. This stand, dedicated Sept. 30, 1913, was the inspiration of a daughter of a G. A. R. veteran, Mrs. Martha Archer. The stand is an octagon with a stairway on the north side. On each of the eight sides and on the portal post and outside the stairway is inscribed a memorial dedication to the members of the military forces from Dundee Township. The inscriptions read:
15th Michigan Infantry Memorial. To our fallen comrades in arms who participated in 25 important engagements and marched with Sherman to the Sea.
In memory of the fallen heroes of the World War.
In memory of the mothers and wives of the comrades of the Civil War.
In memory of our Comrades of the Civil War. 1861- 1865.
In memory of our Comrades of the Spanish-American War 1898 - 1899.
18th Michigan Infty. Memorial. This Reg. engaged the enemy at Danville, Ky., Pond-Springs, Courtland, Athens and Decatur, Ala. Enrollment 1308. Lost in action and otherwise 310.
This Memorial erected by Post No. 10 G. A. R., Corps No. 11, W. R. C. Members of Co. D, 35 Mich. USV, Citizens, Pupils of Public Schools and Sunshine Societies.
Sept. 30th, 1913. Seventh Michigan Infantry Memorial. Heroes of Fredericksburg and the Peninsula, Va. 1861- 1865.
Commemorating the Deeds and Sacrifices of our Army Nurses of the Civil War.
In Memory of the Sailors and Marines and those who lie in unknown graves.
Third Michigan Cavalry Memorial by Comrades of Co. K. Corinth - Iuka - Grenada - Island No. 10 - Jackson - Clifton - Wyatts - Ford.
In Memory of Stonewall Regiment. 9th Corps, 17th Michigan Infantry, who received their name at South Mountain, Maryland, and took part in 30 engagements.
Monument in Soldier's Park, East Front Street, Monroe. Erected in memory of the members of the Joseph R. Smith Post No. 76, G. A. R. and W. R. C. No. 256. Bronze plaque in corridor of Post Office Building, South Monroe Avenue and Second Street, Monroe. The inscription reads:
This building is erected on the old homestead of Major General George Armstrong Custer.
Monument, consisting of an equestrian statue in bronze representing General George Armstrong Custer in a Civil War scene, facing the Confederate lines, hat in hand and charger reined high. It was erected by the state of Michigan in 1910 in Soldier's Park, East Front Street, Monroe. The statue later was moved to the southwest corner of the intersection of Elm Avenue and North Monroe Street where it was rededicated in 1955. The sculptor was Edward Clark Potter, and the cost of the statue was $24,000. The inscription reads:
Custer. Erected by the state of Michigan.
Aluminum marker, adjacent to the equestrian statue of Custer, at the southwest corner of North Monroe Street and Elm Avenue, Monroe. It was erected by the Monroe County Historical Society in 1955. The inscription reads:
Major-General George Armstrong Custer. Born in New Rumley, Ohio, George A. Custer grew up m Monroe in the home of his half-sister, Mrs. David Reed. February 9, 1864, in the Presbyterian Church here, he married Libbie Bacon, only daughter of Judge Daniel S. Bacon. During the Civil War, he received six brevets and was made Major- General before he was 26 years old, a rare distinction. From 1866 until his death at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, General Custer commanded the famous Seventh Cavalry Regiment, leading them in scouting and Indian fighting throughout Kansas and the Dakota Territory. This statue of General Custer, created by Edward C. Potter, was erected by the State of Michigan, unveiled by Mrs. Elizabeth B. Custer and dedicated by President William Howard Taft, June 4, 1910. The statue was rededicated September 3 1955, by the First Cavalry Division of which Custer's Seventh Cavalry Regiment was a part.
Monument, consisting of a large granite column, in the cemetery, one mile south of Edmore. The inscription reads:
In memory of our fallen heroes, Civil War, 1861-1865; Spanish American, 1898-1899- World's [sic] War, 1916- 1918. Erected May 30, 1921, by Womans Relief Corps and Citizens of Home Township.
Boulder with a bronze plaque on the grounds of the City Hall, Greenville. It was erected in 1925 by the William A. Kent Woman's Relief Corps No. 14 to the memory of the William A. Kent Post No. 83 of the G. A. R.
Boulder and tree in the Waterworks Park, Lakeview. It is dedicated to the memory of the G. A. R.
Monument, consisting of a bronze statue of Admiral David G. Farragut, mounted on a square shaft of granite, in Hackley Park, Muskegon. The statue, which is the work of the sculptor Charles H. Niehaus, was a gift to the city of Muskegon from Charles H. Hackley. It was dedicated on May 30, 1900. The inscription reads:
1801. Farragut. 1870.
Monument, consisting of a bronze statue of General Ulysses S. Grant, mounted on a square shaft of granite, in Hackley Park, Muskegon. The statue is the work of the sculptor J. Massey Rhind. It was a gift to the city from Charles H. Hackley and was dedicated on May 30, 1900. The inscription reads:
1822. Grant. 1885.
Monument, consisting of a bronze statue of Abraham Lincoln, mounted on a square shaft of granite, in Hackley Park, Muskegon. The statue is the work of the sculptor Charles H. Niehaus. It was a gift to the city from Charles H. Hackley and was dedicated on May 30, 1900. The inscription reads:
1809. Lincoln. 1865.
Monument, consisting of a bronze statue of General Philip Kearny, mounted on a square shaft of granite, at the corner of Peck and Terrace streets, Muskegon. The statue is a copy of the Kearny statue placed in the United States Capitol by the state of New Jersey. It was a gift to the city from Charles H. Hackley and was dedicated on May 30, 1901. The inscription reads:
Monument, consisting of a bronze statue of General William T. Sherman, in Hackley Park, Muskegon. The statue is the work of the sculptor J. Massey Rhind and was a gift to the city from Charles H. Hackley. It was dedicated on May 30, 1900. The inscription reads:
1820. Sherman. 1891.
Monument, consisting of a cylindrical shaft of granite on top of which is a bronze figure symbolizing Victory. Around the base of the shaft are four statues representing the infantry, artillery, cavalry, and navy. Total height of the monument is seventyfive feet. Located in Hackley Park, Muskegon, it is the work of the sculptor Joseph Carabelli. It was a gift to the city from Charles H. Hackley and was dedicated on May 30, 1892. The inscription reads:
Not conquest but peace and a united people. To the soldiers and sailors who fought, and to all patriotic men and women who helped to preserve our nation in the War of the Rebellion.
Bronze plaque mounted on concrete, in Custer Park, across from North Muskegon School, Muskegon. The inscription reads:
A gift to the children of North Muskegon by Amos E. Steele Post G. A. R. No. 280, 1906.
Monument in the city cemetery in Birmingham. It was erected by the citizens of the township of Bloomfield, Troy, and Southfield in memory of the soldiers and sailors in the Civil War who were war fatalities.
Monument in Farmington. It was erected by the citizens of Farmington in 1924 in memory of area soldiers and sailors who died in the Civil War and in World War I. Names of Civil War soldiers are inscribed on one side of the monument, those of World War I soldiers on the other side.
Boulder with a bronze plaque, in the Clyde School grounds, three-quarters of a mile east of Clyde at the intersection of White Lake and Milford roads. The inscription reads:
Dedicated July 27, 1929, by the members of the Clyde School Reunion, in loving memory of the three boys who quit school in answer to Lincoln's second call in 1864 - John F. Beaumont, George Dibble, Nathan B. Goodfellow. To the two who gave their all, Norman Edsall, 1899, First Lieut. Edward O. McGrain, 1918 (John 15:13) and to all others from this school and community who have served these United States.[Beaumont, Dibble and Goodfellow all enlisted in the 3rd Michigan Cavalry in January, i864, and served with the regiment until it was mustered out at San Antonio, Texas, February l2, 1866. Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 33:14, 51, 70.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, and a bronze plaque, at Saginaw Street and Oakland Avenue, Pontiac. It was erected in 1927 by the Frances C. Butterfield Tent No. 9, Daughters of Union Veterans, in memory of the Union veterans of the Civil War.
Cast aluminum, official state historical marker of the Michigan Historical Commission, at the Governor Moses Wisner House, 401 Oakland Avenue, Pontiac. The marker was dedicated on June 19, 1961 and was purchased by the Oakland County Historical Foundation. The inscription reads:
"Pine Grove." This was the home of Moses Wisner and his wife Angeolina Hascall. From 1859 to 1861 Wisner served Michigan as governor. He was born in New York, came to Michigan in 1837 and shortly established a successful law practice. In 1844 he purchased this property and in 1845 began construction of the main section of the house. He brought Angeolina here as a bride. Wisner planted various kinds of pine native to Michigan on the premises. During the Civil War he organized and commanded the 22nd Michigan Infantry. He died m Kentucky in 18B3. He bequeathed the homestead to his wife who lived here until her death in 1905. Wisner's daughter and granddaughter maintained "Pine Grove" until its purchase m 1945 by the Oakland County Historical Foundation as a center for Oakland County history. Michigan Historical Commission Registered Building No. 7.
Monument in the village cemetery west of Hart. It was erected by the Joe Hooker Post No. 26, G. A. R., in memory of the unknown dead of the Civil War.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, with a bronze plaque, in the Courthouse Square, Hart. It was erected by the Oceana Veterans Monument Association in 1903. The inscription reads:
To our fallen heroes, 1861-1865. [There follow the names of 101 Oceana County Civil War veterans.] In loving and grateful remembrance of valorous deeds on battlefield and sea, dedicates this tablet, as a lasting memorial, to the sons and citizens, who freely bared their breasts to shed their life blood, that liberty and the nation might endure, that oppression should fall and that human progress might advance.
Boulder with a bronze plaque at the corner of Hancock and Fourth streets, Pentwater. The inscription reads:
G. A. R. 61-65. W. R. C.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, on US-31 in Shelby. It was erected in memory of the Civil War soldiers and sailors.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, on the Courthouse lawn, Reed City. It was erected by the Woman's Relief Corps in memory of the Civil War soldiers from Richmond Township.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in Pilgrim Cemetery, East 16th Street, just outside city limits, Holland. It was erected by veterans of the Civil War. The inscription reads:
Our absent dead volunteered from Holland in defense of the Union and never returned. They lie buried in known and unknown graves in the South<1861-18B3. [The tablet also bears the names of the soldiers].
Boulder with a bronze tablet, in Bliss Park, corner North Michigan Avenue, and Houghton Street, Saginaw. The inscription reads:
This tablet marks the vicinity of organization 29th Regt. M. V. I. from Aug. 15 to Oct. 6th, 1864. John F. Driggs, M. C. commandant of camp. Thomas Saylor, Colonel of Regiment. Mustered in U. S. service Sept. 9th, 18642 and mustered out at Murfreesboro, Tenn., Sept. 6th, 1865. Erected by survivors and citizens Oct. 28th, 1914, Capt. Edwin Saunders, President, Joseph Leeman, Secretary. Citizen donors: [There follow the names of fifteen individuals.][Actually, the mustering in of the 29th Michigan Infantry apparently was not completed until October 3, 1864. Robertson, Michigan in the War, 482.]
Boulder with a bronze tablet, M-46, Ezra Rust Park, corner Court Street and Washington Avenue, Saginaw. It was erected Sept. 18, 1912. The inscription reads:
This tablet marks the camp of organization 23rd Regt. M. V. I. from Aug. 10th to Sept. 18th, 1862. D. H. Jerome, commandant of camp, M. W. Chapin, Col. of Regt. Mustered out June 28th, 1865, O. L. Spaulding, Col. of Regt. Erected by survivors Sept. 18th, 1912. Capt. D.D. Keeler, President, Robt. Anderson, Secy. Citizen donors: [There follow the names of twenty individuals.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of a soldier, next to Village Hall, facing St. Clair River Drive, Algonac. The inscription reads:
Erected 1905 in memory of the soldiers and sailors 1861 to 1865. Memorial in Waterworks Park, Marine City. It was erected in 1959 by the Marine City Lions Club. The inscription reads: This memorial is dedicated to honor those of this community who served in time of war and to perpetuate the memory of all those who made the supreme sacrifice for God and their country. Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument in Pine Grove Park, Port Huron, honoring the men of the Port Huron area that served in the Civil War. It was erected in 1893 by the William Sanborn Post, G. A. R., and by the Cemetery Commissioners. To the rear of the monument is a Parrott gun, donated by the federal government, that was used in the siege of Vicksburg in 1863.
Boulder in front of U. S. Postoffice, Port Huron. It was erected by the surviving members of the Col. William Sanborn Post, G. A. R.
Cannon mounted on a stone base, in a park at South Washington and West Fifth streets, Constantine. The inscription reads:
Constantine to her soldiers, 1861-1865.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in the Prairie River Cemetery, Centreville. It was erected about 1909 by Isaac D. Toll, a veteran of the Mexican War, and by citizens of Centreville, as a memorial to area men who served in both the Mexican and Civil wars. The inscriptions read:
A tribute to our loyal sons, 1861-1865. In memory of St. Joseph Co. men who served in Mexico. Company E, 15th Infantry, Capt. I. D. Toll. [This is a reference to a Mexican War, not Civil War unit.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in the village cemetery, Leonidas. The inscription reads:
In honor of the brave men who from Leonidas bore some loyal part in the great Civil War, 1861-1865.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in Bowman Memorial Park, Hoffman and North Main streets, Three Rivers. It was erected in 1893. The inscriptions read:
Erected to the memory of our soldiers who fought for our union and liberty, 1861-1865. No nation ever had truer sons. In honor now they rest. Their marches, sieges and battles in distance. duration, resolution, and brilliancy of results dim the luster of the world's past military achievements. Lincoln. Grant. Sherman. Sheridan. Thomas. Farragut. "God reigns and the government of Washington still lives." "United we stand, divided we fall. The union forever." "If any one attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot." "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." "Let us have peace." [Elsewhere on the monument are inscribed the names of numerous Civil War battles.]
Boulder, with a bronze plaque, in Riverside Cemetery at East Michigan Avenue, Three Rivers. Facing the boulder are four bronze plaques mounted on pedestals, each with a verse from Bivouac of the Dead." The inscription on the boulder reads:
On the memorial site forever set apart and maintained by Riverside Cemetery Association there has been erected this St. Joseph County native boulder by Ed. M. Prutzman Post G. A. R. and Woman's Relief Corps, citizens generously assisting. Dedicated to the perpetual memory of the soldiers of all wars - defenders of the republic.
Boulder, with a bronze plaque, at the New York Central Railroad station in White Pigeon. It was erected in 1915. The inscription reads:
1861. The 11th Michigan Volunteers Infantry and Church's Battery encamped at this place while drilling for service in the Civil War. Stone River, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Atlanta. Erected by the Alba Columba Club.
[The 11th Michigan Infantry rendezvoused in White Pigeon, was mustered into federal service in that town, and left its encampment there for service in Kentucky on December 9, 1861. The unit referred to as Church's Battery was at first officially designated as the 4th Michigan Battery and subsequently as Battery D of the 1st Michigan Light Artillery. Josiah W. Church of Coldwater, who was a first lieutenant at the time of the battery's organization, was promoted to captain and placed m command of the unit in 1862 and continued in command through the battery's hardest-fought engagement, the battle of Chickamauga. The battery rendezvoused with the 11th Michigan and left for Kentucky with that regiment. Robertson, Michigan in the War, 313- 14, 747, and History of Branch County, Michigan, 90 (Philadelphia, 1879). (Robertson, Michigan in the War, 526-27, incorrectly gives Coldwater as the rendezvous post for the battery.]
Boulder, with a bronze plaque, at Huron and Dalles streets, Lexington. It was erected on May 30, 1963, by the Sanilac County Historical Society. The inscription reads:
In honor of Capt. Rudolph Papst and all the soldiers of Lexington who served their country in the Civil War. G. A. R. 1861 to 1865.
[Rudolph Papst of Lexington enlisted in Company . D of the 10th Michigan Infantry in 1861 with the rank of sergeant. He served with the regiment throughout the war and advanced to the rank of captain in 186S. Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 10:8S.]
Boulder with a bronze tablet, on west bank of Shiawassee River, intersection of West Main Street and Michigan Avenue, M-21, Owosso. The inscription reads:
This boulder marks the site of first house in Owosso erected by John D. Overton and David Van Wormer 1835. Mrs. Mary E. Overton Shout of Corunna, was a baby living here then. Her brother, Nathaniel B. Overton, son of John D. and Mary Ann Overton was born here, Sept. 13, 1837 and was the first white child born in Owosso. He enlisted in the Civil War at Corunna in the 16th Michigan Volunteer Infantry and died at Gaines Hill, Virginia, June 27, 1862. Erected by Shiawassee Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1921.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, on M-21, in front of the City Hall, intersection of West Main and Water streets, Owosso. The inscription reads:
1861-1865. In memory of L. B. Quackenbush Post, G. A. R. No. 205 and Woman's Relief Corps No. 26. Erected August 1926.
Monument at West Huron Avenue, Vassar. It was erected in 1925 by the Woman's Relief Corps in honor of the American Legion, Atkinson Post No. 177, W. T. Sherman Post No. 410, G. A. R., W. T. Sherman Relief Corps No. 191, and the Boy Scouts.
Boulder with a bronze tablet, in front of the City Recreation Department, corner of Broadway and Phoenix streets, South Haven. The inscription reads:
Dedicated to all veterans of the Civil War, 1861-1865. Zach. Chandler Post No. 38, G. A. R. Erected by Woman's Relief Corps No. 1, 1925.
Monument, consisting of a statue of an eagle, mounted on top of a pedestal, and a pyramid of cannon balls, in Fairview Cemetery, Ann Arbor. It was erected in 1874. The inscriptions read:
In memory of the 5th Ward soldiers who fought for the Union. Erected by subscription through the efforts of the Ladies Decoration Society, May 30, 1874. The whole number of enlistments from 5th Ward during the war was 75. [There follow the names of forty men.]Brave soldiers rest, your strife is o'er
And you have gained a sweet release.
The Bugle's blast, the cannon's roar,
No more shall break your spirits' peace.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, in Forest Hill Cemetery, Ann Arbor. It was originally placed in 1914 on the lawn of the old Washtenaw County Courthouse in Ann Arbor, but was moved to the Forest Hill Cemetery when the present Courthouse was built. The inscription reads:
In memory of the soldiers and sailors of Washtenaw County who served in the Civil War, 1861-1865, also those who served in the war with Spain, 1898. Erected A. D. 1914.
Marker at the Commandant's Quarters (Dearborn Historical Museum), Michigan Avenue at Monroe Boulevard, Dearborn. The marker was erected by the Dearborn Historical Commission, Dearborn Civil War Centennial Commission, Allied Veteran's Council, and other civic groups, and was dedicated November 11, 1964. The inscription reads:
Michigan soldiers trained at U. S. arsenal during Civil War. During the period of the American Civil War the U. S. Arsenal in Dearborn (then Dearbornville) served as training facilities for Michigan soldiers. This marker is a testimony and a memorial to those men and their units who gave a measure of their devotion. They include: First Michigan Sharpshooters Regiment Approximately one third to one half of the unit's ten companies were casualties, including men from the all Indian Company K. Four men received the Congressional Medal of Honor; and Battery M of First Light Artillery. Dearborn Historical Commission marker.
Marker on the U. S. Grant House at the Michigan State Fairgrounds, Detroit. The house was originally located at 1369 East Fort Street, Detroit, where the plaque was dedicated on November 3, 1922, under the auspices of the Detroit Art Commission. The inscription reads:
Upon this house occupied by him as his home m the year 1849 the City of Detroit has placed this tablet commemorating Ulysses S. Grant, then lieutenant, later general, United States Army and for two terms President of the U. S. of A. Savior of his country.
Marker on the same building as above. The inscription reads:
This one-time residence of Ulysses Simpson Grant presented to the State of Michigan as a modest monument to a great man by the Michigan Mutual Liability Company 1930.
Monument, consisting of an equestrian statue of General Alpheus S. Williams, at Central and Inselruhe avenues, Belle Isle, Detroit. The statue is the work of the sculptor Henry Merwin Shrady. It depicts Williams sitting astride his horse and studying a baffle map during a storm. The General Alpheus S. Williams Association was formed in 1911 to spearhead the drive for the monument. The Detroit Common Council appropriated $25,000 for the site and base. Shrady was paid $30,000. The monument was unveiled on October 15, 1921. The inscription reads:
Major General Alpheus Starkey Williams. 1810-1878. Hero of two wars. Judge. Editor. Postmaster. Diplomat. Member of Congress. An untiring servant of the people. An honor to the City of Detroit. The Michigan Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States and citizens of Detroit have erected this tribute to the valor and abilities of Alpheus S. Williams, Lieut-Colonel, First Michigan Infantry Volunteers in the War with Mexico. Brig.-General and Brevet Maj. General United States Volunteers in the Civil War.
[Alpheus S. Williams was born in Connecticut in 1810, but from 1837 to his death in 1878 he was a resident of Detroit. His military record was a most distinguished one. He served as lieutenant colonel of the 1st Michigan Infantry in the Mexican War. When the Civil War broke out, he was appointed a brigadier general of volunteers by Lincoln. He commanded the Twelfth Corps at the battles of South Mountain, Antietam, and Gettysburg, and he commanded the Twentieth Corps in Sherman's campaigns in I864-65. He was elected to Congress in 1874 and died in 1878 before the expiration of his second term. See Joseph Greusel, General Alpheus S. Williams (Detroit, 1911), and Milo M. Quaife, ed., From the Cannon's Mouth: The Civil War Letters of General Alpheus S. Williams (Detroit, 1959).]
Cannon, near the Casino on Belle Isle, Detroit. This cannon was captured at the battle of Vicksburg.
Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier, at Central and Muse roads, Belle Isle, Detroit. The sculptor was Angelo Zirolo of Wyandotte. The inscription reads:
Tkere are now forty-eight reasons why we will always remember the Grand Army of the Republic. Erected by Department of Michigan, Woman's Relief Corps, auxiliary to the Grand Army o the Republic. Dedicated November, 1948.
Marker on a granite base, near Picnic Way, Belle Isle, Detroit. It was erected on September 27, 1923. The inscription reads:
1923. This tablet is dedicated to Gen. O. M. Poe Post No. 433, Grand Army of the Republic, by its auxiliary, Gen. Poe Woman's Relief Corps No. 8. "Not for selfish gain or applause, but for honor and the glory of the cause they did that which will never be forgotten."
Bust of Abraham Lincoln by Gutzon Borglum, on the grounds of the Detroit Institute of Arts, 5200 Woodward Avenue, Detroit.
Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, Campus Martius, Woodward and Michigan avenues, Detroit. It is the work of the sculptor, Randolph Rogers. The monument is about fifty-six feet in height and consists of a granite body, on which are mounted statues and medallions of bronze. At the top is a ten-foot statue which represents Michigan. Beneath it, on projecting abutments, are four allegorical figures representing Victory, Union, Emancipation, and History. Farther down are four figures representing the infantry, cavalry, artillery, and the navy. On the same level as these statues are medallion portraits of Lincoln, Grant, Sherman, and Farragut. On the outer pedestals of the monument are four eagles. The cost of the monument was close to $75,000, which was raised through popular subscription by the Michigan Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Association. The monument was erected in 1871 and dedicated on April 9, 1872. The four allegorical figures, however, were not put in place, to complete the monument, until July 19, 1881. The inscription reads:
Erected by the people of Michigan in honor of the martyrs who fell and the heroes who fought in defense of liberty and union.
Marker mounted between two posts, adjacent to the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, Woodward and Michigan avenues, Detroit. The inscription reads:
First Michigan Infantry, 1861. President Abraham Lincoln issued a call for troops on April 15 1861. On April 29 the First Michigan Infantry Regiment was organized and was mustered into Federal service May 1 for three months' service. The regiment received its flag from the ladies of Detroit in Campus Martius on May 11, and left for Washington, D. C. on May 13. This was the first western regiment to respond to the President's call for Civil War troops. It was mustered out August 7, 1861 then reorganized for three years. Presented to the city of Detroit by the J. L. Hudson Company, May 13, 1961, centennial of the regiment's departure from Detroit.
[Actually, the organization of the 1st Michigan Infantry as a three-year regiment had commenced on Tune 28, more than a month before the three-month regiment was mustered out. Although many of the officers of the new regiment had served with the three-month regiment, very few of the enlisted personnel of the original regiment chose to enlist in the three-year regiment. See Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, l:passim.]
Memorial fountain including a bronze figure representing Michigan and a medallion portrait of Russell A. Alger, in Grand Circus Park, Detroit. The sculptor was Daniel Chester French. The Russell A. Alger Memorial Association, formed in 1912, raised $30,000 to finance the project. The memorial was unveiled on July 27, 1921. The inscription reads:
Russell A. Alger. Soldier. Statesman. Citizen. 1836 - 1907.
[See the footnote for Alger County for biographical information. Alger's home at 510 West Fort Street, Detroit, was marked by a bronze plaque which, since the destruction of the building, has been stored in the Detroit Historical Museum.]
Monument, consisting of a statue of Abraham Lincoln, at the Detroit Public Library branch at Gratiot Avenue and Farmer Street, Detroit. The statue is a copy of one designed by Alonzo Pelzer for Lincoln, New Jersey. It was originally located at the Lincoln Motor Company plant at West Warren and Livernois in Detroit. It was a gift to Henry M. Leland, founder of the company. It was moved to its present location on April 17, 1958.
Marker at the site of the Second Baptist Church, 441 Monroe Street, Detroit. The inscription reads:
Emancipation Proclamation, 1863. President Abraham Lincoln formally issued his Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863. The first celebration in honor of the event in Detroit was held in the Second Baptist Church on January 6, 1863. The Negro citizens of Detroit resolved that "when in the course of human events, there comes a day which is destined to be an everlasting beacon light, marking a joyful era in the progress of a nation and the hopes of a people, it seems to be fitting the occasion that it should not pass unnoticed by those whose hopes it comes to brighten and to bless . . ." The meeting was a culmination of the efforts of Detroit Negroes which had begun with the underground railroad. Presented to the city of Detroit by the J. L. Hudson Company January 6, 1963, centennial of the meeting.
Marker on the lawn at the John R Street entrance to Harper Hospital, Detroit. The inscription reads:
Harper Hospital 1863-1864. In 1859 Walter Harper and Nancy Martin conveyed land to a board of trustees for the purpose of establishing a hospital. Harper Hospital was incorporated May 4, 1863. Construction of the hospital buildings began June 13 1864. Sick and wounded Civil War soldiers, Harper's first patients, were admitted on October 12, 1864. Presented to the city of Detroit under the auspices of the Michigan Civil War Centennial Observance Commission by Parke, Davis & Company on the centennial of the incorporation of Harper Hospital.
Marker at Fort Wayne Military Museum, 6053 West Jefferson Avenue, Detroit. The inscription reads:
Fort Wayne. Construction of this historic first American-built fort at Detroit was begun in 1843. Completed in 1848, it was named in 1849 to honor the Revolutionary War hero, General Anthony Wayne, who became first American commandant at Detroit in 1796. Fort Wayne was a mobilization center in the Civil War, Spanish-American War and World War I and was Detroit's ordnance depot in World War II. Transferred to Detroit Historical Commission in 1949, it was dedicated as Fort Wayne Military Museum, June 14, 1950. This marker presented to the city of Detroit by the J. L. Hudson Company.